Top-Rated Recipes

If you want recipes that are sure to be a hit, look no further! The recipes on this site are ones that I have made again and again for my family.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stuffed Shells

One of my favorite meals is stuffed shells.  I not only like the flavor of the recipe, but I like that it makes enough to make two meals!  Usually when I make this recipe, I make it the night before.  I drive an hour to work everyday so I typically don't get home until around 6pm and by that time everyone is beyond ready to eat.  My husband gets home by 4:30 so he's able to just pop it in the oven when he gets home and it's done by the time I get home!  When I make this recipe, I typically fill a 9x13 pan to cook the next day and then I also have an 8x8 tin pan that I fill and freeze to cook on another night.  That frozen meal is perfect for a night when you just don't feel like cooking, but want a home cooked meal.  This recipe came from my Mother-in-Law--she typically adds in spinach or meat, but I prefer just cheese stuffed shells.  Here is my version:

Stuffed Shells:

1 box Stuffing Shells
32 oz container of Ricotta Cheese
8 oz bag shredded mozzarella, plus extra to top off the shells
3 eggs
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp. parsley
1 tsp oregano
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Jars of Spaghetti Sauce

Cook shells according to package.  Mix all of the rest of the ingredients (except the sauce).  Pour about 3/4 cup of sauce into the pan, then fill your shells and place them in the pan(s).  Cover the shells with the remaining sauce and cover them with tin foil.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-50 minutes.  During the last 5 minutes of cooking, uncover the shells and top with shredded mozzarella.

**When I make this ahead of time, I usually bake it in a 425 degree oven for about about 1 1/2 hours.  Since it's cold, it takes a little longer.

**You can also add some chopped frozen spinach or brown ground beef and add it to half of the cheese mixture if you don't want your shells to be so cheesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment